Friday, September 7, 2007

Clubs, Friends, & Campus Life

Hey All!!

How is everyone doing!? I miss everyone so much and am trying so hard to get plugged into life here. I have no school on Fridays, Saturdays, or Sundays. So, Friday is going to be "chore" day which is going to involve studying, laundry, ironing, taking out the trash, and cleaning up.

There are so many clubs and activities going on here at JWU (Johnson & Wales). I signed up to be in the University Involvement Board (UIB) which plans student activities. Currently, we are planning for Freak Week which is going to land at the end of October and is going to have events geared towards Halloween. I also signed up to be a CAT which is the Collegiate Ambassador Team. JWU's mascot is a wildcat, hence the abbreviation to be a CAT. The CAT club are people that are tour guides to school visitors along with other programs such as the Shadow Program where visitors and a CAT member can work one on one and the visitor follows their CAT to all their classes for a day and basically experiences a day in the life of a college student at JWU. Those are the 2 clubs that I have involvement with so far, but I know there will be a lot more coming along.

Food is decent here. We have 6-9 different facilities to use. City Burger & Starbucks will be added to our meal plan here very soon. The main hall that I use is the Snowden which is ran mostly by students so of course the food gets better each day.

I am starting to make some friends, each day if I am alone and eating, I try hard to eat with someone different every day. Yesterday, for dinner, I sat down with a girl on the cell phone. I wasn't feeling the most sociable and there weren't any open tables so I thought this would be perfect. The girl ended her call and started talking to me. We hit it off almost immediately and made plans to hang out later that night as I had UIB (University Involvement Board) stuff to do. She seems like a keeper for me so far. My roommate and I are getting along great and I started to show her a glimpse of the crazy me (I hope I didn't scare her too bad). I made some other friends in my Foods I class, and a few others just dispersed here and there so now I'm getting to the point where if I wanted to, I could probably find someone to hang out with. It is so nice to have friends ;)

As for dorm living, someone got busted for coming home drunk and with alcohol in tow, so now all bags have to be searched for today at least. Also, there is a crazy guy on the first floor that runs around the halls and walks into people's room and starts using their computers, tvs, bathrooms, etc. My roommate bumped into him this morning and didn't know who he was until he asked her what room she was in, so now we keep our doors locked at all hours whereas if someone was in the room, it'd generally be unlocked. I still feel very safe but you just can't be too cautious or careful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leeta, Enjoy every moment, soon enough you will be done and your college days will be but a memory. Clubs are very good for job experience. You can put them on your resume. I hope that you have a wonderful weekend. I love you, Vicky

Anonymous said...

Helloooo Leeta :)

Very proud of you for stepping outside of your comfort zone to meet people and make friends. Not an easy job anytime, but you are making great strides to get 'plugged in' (good term!) - nice work. Remember, it all won't come together lickty-split, but persistence is the key. Good to hear that you're getting involved in clubs too. Know that we are right there beside you cheering you on at every step. Love you! Big Bear Hugs - C & G.

Anonymous said...

HI!!!! Itchey! I am glad that you are doing well. Keep up working on the blog it is a great way to see what is going on in your life. With LOVE a lonley old man.