Monday, September 3, 2007

My New Life!!!

Hey Everyone!!!

I was having some internet difficulties so I took a trip to starbucks and got onto to the internet so that way I could update ya'll!!! (Yeah my roommate is from Tennessee).

So flights/trip out on Friday was pretty uneventful, just long and tiring day. Do have to say that I wouldn't particulary want to fly into Newark, New Jersey again. However, my flight from Newark to Providence was the best for a few reasons. It was funny in the way I spent an hour on the runway and it only took us 30 minutes to fly to Providence. The flight was the best because of all the crazy people around me. That was a ton of fun! I arrived in Providence with a personal driver to greet me. He took me to my hotel, helped me get my stuff inside and waited to make sure I had reservations.

Now my hotel was pretty sweet. I'll be posting pics here of it soon. It was probably one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in. I was lucky to find it since it is so close to my dorms, I only had to walk 2 blocks to move my stuff in.

Saturday morning, I moved my stuff into my dorm. My roommate was scheduled to arrive on Sunday so I delayed in unpacking my stuff so that way if she wanted to move things around it wouldn't be a hassle. I had orientation all day on Saturday and I met a girl from India. If I happen to find her again somewhere on campus, I think we will be good friends. She is also studying hotel management. I made a few other friends throughout the course of the day as well. I went to a hypnotist show which was extremely funny.

Sunday, I ran into 2 friends from my April visit to the school and we went running around for awhile. Then I helped 2 people move in but they were so cranky and had so much stuff I let them be after a while. My roommate arrived at lunchtime and I went and met her. Have to say she is a really quiet person but I think we will work out fine. I had 2 more hours of orientation left so I made plans to meet up with my roommate later. We met back up and spent a couple hours rearranging the room until it was just right. Later that night, I went to a comedy show with two of my friends, David & Dom (short for Dominique) and after the show, there was a huge celebration celebrating the start of the school's new year.

Monday, I had a hospitality welcome meeting and then there was the convocation ceremony which was interesting yet a little drawn out in my opinion. Afterwards, I went shopping to Wal-Mart. I was suprised to see a Wal-Mart made of brick and was slightly dismayed with the store and mass quantities of people and the really empty shelves from all the back to schoolers. I bought some must haves and decided to wait on the others. Good thing I did because I had just the perfect amount of stuff to carry and messed up the bus system and it took me almost 2 hours to find a bus to take me home. I could have walked home in that amount of time but uncertainity of the safety of neighborhoods held me back. Although, the bus stop I did end up choosing was a little iffy since it was this huge high rise building with low rent housing and no AC so everyone was out on the front lawn in chairs just sitting there, so that was kind of awkard to see so many people just sitting there and doing nothing. After a quick dinner, I went to check out some of the clubs that JWU has to offer. All the clubs and greek life set up booths out on the court yard between my dorm hall, the school library, and another dorm all. This court yard is called the Gaebe commons and is a huge place for partying ;)

After checking out the clubs, I went shopping at the Providence Place Mall, more particulary, I wanted to go the Bed Bath & Beyond to get a new comfy dorm chair with a gift card that someone gave me (thanks by the way!). I ended up buying the chair, a mini ironing board, a surge protector power strip, and 24 hangers which was a mistake because I had a mile to walk. Well it doesn't help either when you walk the wrong way and get lost in a unfamiliar city and you have all this stuff to carry and its getting darker and darker by the minute and all these security cars are coming out of the woodwork. After several moments of wandering I finally walked in JWU territory where all the light poles have JWU signs and JWU buses were running around. Much relieved I hiked on home.

At home, in my concrete box, I was having internet issues so I took the journey to Starbucks which leads me into my next blog. I somehow find adventure everywhere I go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The driver didn't wait to make sure you had reservations, he was waiting for his tip.